RE: [RRG] Separation vs. Elimination

|So it seems to me that ESDs are similar to PI addresses (i.e.  GSE
|doesn't eliminate the USE of PI addresses, but does get rid of them
|in the transit space).

This is exactly where I have to disagree.  The ESD is simply not an address.
It is a wholly orthogonal namespace.  While it is globally unique, it shares
no other properties with a PI address that I can see.

|How is GSE similar to NAT?

GSE does pure translation on the routing bits.  In a NAT environment, the
routing goop is translated into an RFC 1918 address.  In GSE, the routing
goop gets zeroed out.

GSE is better than NAT in that it does provide a real identifier that
applications can now exchange freely, so that much of the translation
ugliness within NAT (e.g., FTP port commands) can go away.

Tony