[RRG] Re: Charging for updates in BGP

Hi Michael,

You wrote:

> I believe you have made my point for me -- this is technically feasible
> with BGP, but probably not economically feasible.

I would say that while it is technically feasible for anyone who
runs a DFZ router to charge the operators of neighbouring routers
for every update they make, that it is difficult to imagine this
being deployed widely enough to curtail whatever might be judged as
excessive updates by some edge networks.

I described some barriers to this charging idea being feasible in a
business sense, and no-doubt there are other barriers I didn't
anticipate.  Geoff Huston's sterling efforts in this field indicate
that the business arrangements would indeed be tortuous:
  http://www.potaroo.net/drafts/old/draft-bert-kyoto-protocol-00.html
http://unfccc.int/essential_background/kyoto_protocol/items/1678.php

Also, even if this happened, it would make only a marginal
difference to the routing scaling problem - we need a way of
providing provider independent addresses to millions of networks,
which is not made possible simply by reducing "excessive" update
rates.

> As I understand it, you argue that a similar payment system *will* be
> economically feasible under Ivip. It seems you claim this only because
> Ivip is designed from the ground up to require this.

I haven't tried to list every reason why I think Ivip can and should
work this way.  This discussion is a good way of exploring these
matters.  I will take it up in another thread.

 - Robin