Re: [RRG] A data point on transit MTU size

On 1 okt 2008, at 16:29, Templin, Fred L wrote:

We don't want segmentation/reassembly as a steady-state
condition; we only want it to bridge the gap between
what we have today and a future jumbo-clean Internet.

Unfortunately, things don't always work out that way. If you create two ways to do something, a good one and an easier one, the easier one will remain in use forever, pretty much.

So, require that the largest segment be 1KB when we have
to segment? I'm not sure that an ETR would be able to
manage its buffers efficiently in order to take advantage
of that given that it still needs to receive unfragmented
MTU-sized packets, but neither can I guarantee that that
would not be the case. So, I don't see a problem with
what you are suggesting.

The main thing is that we can restrict the way in which fragmentation happens so we don't have to solve the general case.

But I think the maximum number of sessions that must be supported and the DoS risks are the big problems.