Re: multi6-functional-dec and re-homing

Hi Kurtis,

El 18/01/2005, a las 10:52, Kurt Erik Lindqvist escribió:

I managed to screw up the To address on this mail...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>
Date: den 18 januari 2005 09.58.52 MET
To: <shim6@psg.com> <shim6@psg.com> <shim6@psg.com>
Subject: Re: multi6-functional-dec and re-homing

On 2005-01-17, at 13.52, <john.loughney@nokia.com> wrote:
Could I suggest a change to the current charter:

	MAY 05    First draft of architectural and protocol document
	MAY 05    First draft on cryptographic locators, if required
	MAY 05    First draft on state managment

	MAY 05    First draft of architectural and protocol document
	MAY 05    First draft on cryptographic locators, if required
	MAY 05    First draft on failure & rehoming event description

This is, of course, not considering the discussion we have had about
the
potential need for a seperate architecture draft.

Anyhow, State management to me, means the internal protocol state, and
message processing rules, etc. For example, I think
draft-arkko-multi6dt-failure-detection-00.txt might cover some of what
I'm thinking about. I also wonder if any of the work in DNA could
also be referenced here. I'm definately interested in contributing
on this topic.

so having thought a bit on this, and started working on an updated
version of the charter. I originally put in the state machine document
to have the entire document set somewhat more "modular", but also
because I thought that making an conscious effort to try and develop
the statemachine. After reading the mails here, Johns mail on the
"interaction" with transport made me think that having these as to
separate documents probably is a good idea - as we might want to change
state interaction with transport without changing protocol elements.

As for the proposal above to change the name, isn't failure and
rehoming also somewhat misleading as sate is also establishment and
disconnect (I guess also somewhat along what Marcelo pointed to)?

well, i am not sure about this...
My point was about establishing new communication after an outage with external hosts that don't implement the shim.
This is important becuase at least in the early days, most of nodes won't implement shim.
Explicitly taking this point into consideration would allow to provide some degree of fault tolerance (i.e. the capability of establishing new communications after an outage) even in communications with nodes that don't implement the shim.

Regards, marcelo

I am for keeping this as a separate document, but I am open for
suggestions on names. I will try and write some more text explaining
the context/content of the document....

- - kurtis -