Re: multi6-functional-dec and re-homing

El 20/01/2005, a las 10:16, Brian E Carpenter escribió:

john.loughney@nokia.com wrote:
Brian,
Focussing:

In particular, the benefits would be the capability of establishing
new communications through the alternative paths.

Well, that is an intrinsic property of IPv6 surely - if a host has two addresses, and one fails, you can try the other.
Yes, but the TCP session running will be torn down.  This implies the
need for a shim layer, but I'm guessing Marcelo was suggesting that
there may still mechanisms help with this case.  Am I correct in
assuming that you think this is out of scope?

Well, I find it hard to see how a single-ended shim can help, unless it actually turns out to be an in-host NAT, and I don't think we want to go there, do we?

I agree that a single host that has SHIM components cannot preserve established communications (since for this support from both ends of the communication is needed).
However, if one of the nodes has SHIM components, it may be able to establish new communications after an outage, something that a non SHIM host cannot. and this is a great benefit imho

Reagrds, marcelo

   Brian