RE: New version of charter text

Hi Eric,

I think your comments seem reasonable, some comments:

> > Some state transitions may result from external events however, such
> > as failure detection rather than from protocol events. These should be
> > documented in a seperate draft.
>
> I don't know if I understand the first sentence, since "failure
> detection" will be part of the shim6 suite. I think what you want to say
> is that there are events (or hints) external to the multi6 protocol
> (for instance, interfaces coming and going, ICMP errors, transport
> protocol hints about working/not-working), that need to be fed into the
> shim6 failure detection.
> How about
> "The shim6 failure detection can take advantage of external events or
> hints, from instance from the network or from the transport protocols,
         ^^^^
         for

> to operate more efficiently."
>
> > The WG will not consider items outside the above scope, such as
> > interaction with mobility, transport level solutions, or alternative
> > identifier formats. However, the WG will consider developing methods
> > for the shim6 level to handle transport layer signalling to the shim6
> > layer as in scope.
>
> Are you trying to say "interaction with transport level solutions" are
> out of scope, or that "transport level solutions" are out of scope?
> The latter is clearly out of scope, but the text above can be read as
> the interactions applying to the text after the comma.

I take it to mean that shim6 will not modify the transport layer, but
may have some interaction with the transport layer (aka - transport
layer triggers or indicators).

> I think it would be interesting to look at how multi-locator aware
> protocols like SCTP and DCCP would operate when there is a shim below,
> but I don't think this is on the critical path and should be a separate
> document.

I think that this would be premature to consider at this point, but might
be reasonable later on, once we have a good idea of the problem space
- i.e. - leave this type of stuff for rechartering.

John