Re: shim - transport/app communication

On 15-mrt-05, at 0:19, Leif Johansson wrote:

Shim-aware transports/applications could also emit periodic keepalives when they're otherwise idle so the shim knows it shouldn't remove state yet. (In fact many applications and/or TCP already do so.)

That is typically done as a hack to keep NAT-boxen from ditching you
right?

No, I think it's done (at the tcp level) to flush out dead sessions. I rather like being able to put my laptop to sleep overnight and find my SSH sessions still alive, though.

Some applications do that, others simply break.

Are you saying that NAT breaks certain applications? That surely can't be...

I believe that keeping applications shim-unaware is a worthy goal.

Some applications may want to inform the shim of their special needs. But applications that don't have special needs shouldn't have to be shim-aware, of course.