Re: how mobile do we want to be

> I will take it further.  Margaret is correct and I will be stronger
> and replace the word tangential with orthogonal.  Mobility and
> Multihoming are completely two separate technology efforts and
> functions related to building a multihome archictecture, a network
> operations model for an enterprise, or a shim solution within an IP
> stack.

The motiviations behind mobility and multihoming are distinct (i.e. the
intention is orthogonal) but the solutions MAY be similar / could
apply to one another / could be the same (i.e. the result may not be
orthogonal).

> Another example is Mobile IPv6 et al (multiple working groups
> on mobility) is completely orthogonal to MANETs problem of routing or
> autoconfiguratin on the link.
>

> In my opinion I have seen some views expressed to try to integrate
> Mobility issues-problems-opportunities into the work of multihoming

I'm not sure it's the intention. I would better take this as a "concern"
(deploying an architectural change which doesn't solve the mobility
problem is at best a loss of opportunity and at worse a lack of
planning) . I personaly have no intention to integrate mobility issues
or problems into the Shim6 WG as long as the output are **experimental
RFCs**.  However, it may be useful if a twin IRTF is set up to
investigate the relation between mobility and multihoming using a shim
(or compatible with a shim) so that, in the end, we can output - in a
few years and in other WGs - RFCs in the standard track category which
bring an answer to both mobility and multihoming.

> and I believe to circumvent the IETF direction in the respective
> mobility WGs, as end-run as opposed to going to those IETF WGs and
> defending their need technically with that IETF center of expertise.

The existing mobiliy WGs are not chartered to discuss this.

Thierry.