Re: how mobile do we want to be

On 22-mrt-05, at 23:22, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

That would require some serious voodoo as these are nearly always managed by different entities. So essentially this would keep the problem the same but require wifi base stations and gsm/umts infrastructure to solve this and hide the complexity from the hosts. This isn't traditionally the way the IETF does things.

I was actually expecting that, to get this to work well, you'd need to purchase the 3GPP/802.11 roaming service from a single provider...

I'm sure the telcos would love to take over 802.11, but I don't see how that could happen, as most 802.11 installations are in private homes and businesses. The best they can do is go after road warriors and conferences. Maybe that's enough...

It also seems likely to me that some of the cell phone standards bodies are looking at this (3GPP or 3GPP2, for instance), but I haven't heard of anything specific going on there, have you?

No, but I'm not privvy to what happens there.

I think that mobile IP could be used for something like this, but not without cooperation from the cell phone providers, right?

I guess it would be possible to do some magic between the base station and the handset without involvement from the telco, but I'm not sure it's possible to make this completely transparent to the host.