Re: how mobile do we want to be

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:52:34 -0500
Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com> wrote:

> At 9:05 PM +0100 3/22/05, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> >>  and the original discussions, a year or so
> >>  ago, had clear examples of interest, with mobile phones switcing
> >between >  cell phone linkage and 802.11 linkage being one of the
> >more interesting.
> >
> >You have to drill a bit deeper as mobile phones aren't an
> >application so it's impossible to determine whether they need layer
> >4 stability on top of layer 3 mobility.
>
> Actually, it isn't even clear to me that the solutions for hand-off
> from 3GPP to 802.11 would involve L3 mobility.  The hand-off could
> occur between the lower layers of 3GPP and the lower layers of
> 802.11, requiring no IP address changes at L3.

If we want to provide the user with ubiquity and the ability to switch
from one interface to another (possibly from one provider to another) in
the course of an open session, L3 is probably the best place to do it.
At least, this is the solution on which car manufacturers and other
businesses are working, based on MIP6 or NEMO BS.

Thierry