Re: how mobile do we want to be

On 23-mrt-05, at 3:07, Thierry Ernst wrote:

You have to drill a bit deeper as mobile phones aren't an application
so it's impossible to determine whether they need layer 4 stability on
 top of layer 3 mobility.

I'm afraid I don't understand the comment, but if it's what I think, I
would answer that to me it's pretty clear they need layer 4 stability.

No it's not. The only application I would really want this for is remote login, but with the right tools reestablishing such a session is trivial.

It would be nice to keep a/v streams running when switching infrastructures, but congestion issues make this very problematic.

I think someone else mentioned one other application that could use layer 4 stability on top of layer 3 changes, but I can't find this. Stuff like web and file transfer don't need this capability, and in mail only downloading large attachments would be helped by it, but changing the pop/imap protocols can address this just as easily.

I suspect that the "need" for mobility is 99% driven by bell-heads who still think in terms of services that must provide a seamless experience to the user. Guess what: the "user" is a big company building complex software, and if they can handle stuff like this themselves (for instance, by restarting file transfers after an interruption) they'll be happy to do so.

I think that the discussion is about putting the right thing in the
charter, so I don't think it's coming at the wrong moment - rather at
the right time, before the WG is approved.

My answer remains the same: "not now". What could go into the charter about mobility that would be helpful at this point in time? (And "we need mobility, you guys figure it out!" doesn't qualify as "helpful".) The wg can always recharter after finishing some specified amount of work.