RE: shim - transport/app communication

> Could we please manage to avoid the worst of the layering faults we
> committed in the IPv4 Internet? The thing that has made NAT hard and
> made applications break crossing a NAT was that the applications know
> something about addresses. Let's not do that with IPv6 applications.

Generally I agree but as NGNs move to network virtualization Hosts (or
not routers) will perform network functions thus this cannot be the case
for all Hosts.  The key is to define what Fred means by application
above.  For example Network Management applications or Home Agents for
MIPv6 will need to know about IPv6 addresses.  Where as should an SQL
query know about IPv6 addresses and I would suggest probably not.

So a general swoop of applications don't need to know about IPv6
addresses is not helpful without clarification.

/jim