Re: shim - transport/app communication

On 27-mrt-05, at 18:56, Bound, Jim wrote:

Your completely missing the point of 3493 and some of the most brilliant
and serious network programmers in the IETF worked on this API for
years.

Hm, if success depends on years of work by the most brilliant people around, this indicates that there is a problem somewhere...

In addition 3493 permits a
means to program with IPv4 and IPv6 in address family indepdent manner.

You said it: IPv4 and IPv6. What about IPs v7 - 15 ?

Also, I assume you're talking about IPv4-mapped addresses. I think those are great but unfortunately there are others who disagree and failed to implement them, which makes writing IP version agnostic impossible on some systems and therefore non-portable on all systems.

But I suggest we agree to disagree, at least on this list.  :-)