Re: Open question and Critical dependencies

On 29-mrt-05, at 9:27, Thierry Ernst wrote:

After 10 years, we ought to deal with the reality that there is
significant  resistance to adoption.

Resistance to adoption of IPv6 in the planet where I live doesn't
exists. I use IPv6 on a regular basis, even to send this mail - you can
check this in my mail header:
[IPv6:2001:200:0:8803::53])

Unfortunately, the IETF servers (or the PSG one, in this case) don't support IPv6 so this is not the case. However, there should be an IPv6 address in the headers of this email. :-)

FYI, in my office, we couldn't even get enough IPv4 addresses for all
desktop,

Strange.

When something take 10 years to get to the point of starting
infrastructure  deployment, there is usually a rather basic problem.
In particular, the world  has repeatedly seen promises of the next
great technology that will see grand  deployments "soon in the future"
that somehow keep being in the future, rather  than now.

When this 10 years period started ? If you refer to the time it was
first introduced at the IETF, it doesn't hold, as it takes time to
publish RFC, test implementation and market produst.

Right. Both claims of success and claims of failure are premature. And in my opinion, dual stack servers weren't really deployable until the addition of the IPV6_V6ONLY socket option, and IPv6 only clients still aren't deployable due to lack of a resolving DNS server discovery mechanism. The fact that the first IPv6 RFCs were published 9.3 years ago is only relevant upto a point.

The truth is that nothing similar enough to the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 has happened in the past to make any conclusions based on it worth the air and spit necessary to utter them. The only thing we know is that predictions are notoriously hard, especially when they concern the future. But I challenge anyone to show me how we could reasonably still be using IPv4 in the year 2030.

IPv6 is already deploying.

Some random data points:

- of the "top 100 English language web sites" not one is reachable over IPv6
- of the "top 100 English language web sites" one times out for AAAA DNS requests
- of the 213 Amsterdam Internet Exchange member's main websites, 9 are reachable over IPv6 (up from unknown / 4 just under a year ago)
- of the 213 Amsterdam Internet Exchange members, 59 had an IPv6 address enabled on (one of their) port(s)