Re: flow label demultiplexing

El 18/04/2005, a las 22:27, Pekka Savola escribió:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
Note that HBA+CGA in one doesn't help (AFAICS) because otherwise you'd be trusting anyone you have a public key with to not hijack any of your sessions?

Well, i guess not.

In the CGA case, the address being used as the ULID for the communication is a CGA that contains a hash of the publich key in the iid. In this case, you will only trust a public key whose hash matches the iid of the ulid.

Sure.

So, when you use CGA capabilities of the address, the CGA parameter data structure is exchanged upfront and it contains the public key.

Next, the node can use a new address (that was not included in the CGA parameter data structure) because it can authorize it by signing it with the private key corresponding to the CGA. Moreover, such signature could even be included in a packet that contains the new address as source address (i think)

I mean, with CGA there is no need to know the addresses before hand.

OK, I guess you'll assume that

1) the CGA implementations would check the prefix, i.e., that anyone who claims to be of prefix A::/64 has a certificate to use that prefix, and can present that?

No, i am not assuming this.

Otherwise you trusting me would allow me to say I'm in control of a third party's prefix, right?

Not a prefix, but just an address of that prefix, right?

I mean, through this message, the mh node is saying that this new address (of a different previously unknow prefix) is his current locator. but see below, becuase i guess we may be misunderstanding each other...

2) delegation path discovery works across the internet so you can actually find a common trust anchor, and

I am certainly not assuming this...

3) you sign the whole [shim6 exchange, and in this case everything, if it's piggybacked] packet. But CGA is only defined for neighbor discovery options...

I am certainly assuming that we are signing the alternative locator information carried in a SHIM message using the private key of the CGA. Agree that this is not a usage that is currently defined for CGAs, but i guess that could be defined within the SHIM protocol

As such, embedding the public key in the CGA/HBA address protects against the third parties trying to spoof another person's identity, but does not protect against the responder lying.

Right.

Now, my understanding of this is the following:

We need to prevent basically two types of redirection attacks: hijacking and flooding (this is basically what the threat analysis says)

Now, using CGAs (or HBAs) basically, hijacking protection is achieved.
In order to prevent flooding, i guess that the easiest way if to preform a reachability test to the address, in order to find out if the target is willing to receive packets.
At this point, an interesting question is raised: do we need to perform the reachability test in order to receive packets or is it enough to perform the reachability test before sending packets to the new locator?

As far as i understand, it would be safe enough to accept packets perfoming only the CGA (or HBA) verification and delaying the reachability test untli there is a need to send packets. This is so becuase, the reachability test is used to prevent flooding attacks, i.e. we need to do it before sending packets to that locator.
Such configuration would allow to receive packets from previously unknown locators, delaying the rechability verification until we need to send packets to those locators.

make sense?

Regards, marcelo

(This is really bad if one would use something like opportunistic encryption rather than real "he's my very good friend, he won't try tricks" trust.) We need to deal with that as well. The above three mitigate this to a great extent, I think, but to a significant cost..

-- Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds." Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings