Re: Flow label versus Extension header

El 24/04/2005, a las 19:52, Erik Nordmark escribió:

Second, are you assuming that at this point the receiver know all the locator set of the initiator? are you assuming the the locator sets are static? Becuase if the locator sets are dynamic then i think that no one can be sure that the locator sets won't overlap in the future...

You're probably assuming that the same tag is used in both directions.

i think i am not (but i am not sure :-)

I mean, do you think that if context tag values are repeated across different context, based on the fact that locator set of the peer are disjoint, receiver based context tag allocation can guarantee proper demux?

I mean, as i see it, when we are handling dynamic locator sets, the only option to guarantee proper demuxing is to solely rely in the context tag i.e. not include the addresses in the demux operation. Because if we inlcude the addresses in the demux, and we have repeated context tags, it always may occur that we end up with two contexts that have the same context tag (because we are using repeated context tags) and with the same locators (because they were added after we assigned the context tag, allowing to assign the same context tags initially, because initially the context tags were disjoints)

So, as i see it, the easier mechanisms to guarantee proper demux is to assign unique context tags and demux only based in context tags (not consider the addresses). Moreover, in order to guarantee this uniqueness, the simplest way is probably to use different context tags for each direction and to perform receiver based context tag allocation.
and finally because of the expected number of sessions, probably we need a bigger field than the flow label in order to guarantee uniqueness of the context tag.

I would say that this is the simpler approach. I may not be the most efficient though.

Regards, marcelo

   Erik