Re: Flow label versus Extension header - protocol itself

[pruned CC list before my mail client runs out of memory...]

On 29-apr-2005 Francis Dupont wrote:

Why not adding a new extension header?

=> basically as there is no way to deal with a new extension header without
modifying code or more, this will kill all the boxes which are looking
inside packets for good or less good reasons.

I don't think that in this stadium of IPv6 deployment this is that huge a deal.

Also, looks like RFC 2460 dropped the ball here. It actually draws extension headers as having a next header and a length field in a fixed place, but then doesn't say that all extension headers should look like that.

I think that at the moment I agree with you that flow labels should be
used if the existing definitions of flow labels can be accomodated
(few though they are).

=> the problem with the overloading of flow labels is this should likely
break all other possible usages of flow labels (not a surprise).

Have you been reading other posts to this list the past week? I think they make it pretty clear that using the flow label for demux can be done without impact to other flow label use, at the cost of some extra complexity when selecting the flow label for a new session.