Re: Flow label versus Extension header - protocol itself

Hi Francis,

Francis Dupont wrote:
 In your previous mail you wrote:

I think that at the moment I agree with you that flow labels should be
used if the existing definitions of flow labels can be accomodated
(few though they are).
=> the problem with the overloading of flow labels is this should likely
break all other possible usages of flow labels (not a surprise).
For instance if flow labels are changed to be allocated after the first
packet and/or by the receiver.

I guess this is right, except that we can make a change to the semantics which don't impact the existing label path, and won't be visible to applications.

The original assumption was that flow labels (in general, rather than in
shim) would be sender selected. Marcelo has mentioned that there may
therefore be pre-shim flow labels in existence at negotiation time.
=> the flow label is selected by the sender before it sends the first
packet. IMHO shim stuff should not touch the flow label, i.e., the only
real but marginal question is whether the flow label should be reset when
an address in the IPv6 header is changed (there are pros and cons, and in
fact it doesn't really matter :-).

I agree that the existing requirements for sender place a limitation on what can be changed (nothing) on the original path where the communications are established.

If receiver based allocation of labels is useful (which is still under
debate, I guess), then the allocation of labels on other paths when
addresses change can be used to provide that receiver allocation
without impairing the semantics of flow labels for applications or
on the forwarding path (regardless of which path that is).

Whether this is the right approach or not needs to be weighed
against the costs and ease of other ideas.

I'm looking forward to discussion about these issues.

Greg