Re: Flow label versus Extension header - protocol itself

Hi Erik,

Erik Nordmark wrote:
Greg Daley wrote:

I don't think it makes sense switching from F1 to a different locator for the "main" path as you parenthetically suggest, though.

Fair enough. The main value of retaining the flow label F1 though, is for applications which are interested in flow identification.

By "applications" do you mean something running on the host?

My assumption is that the shim on the receiver would not only restore the IPv6 address fields to be the ULIDs, but also restore the flow label to F1. Thus ULPs on the host would see a constant flow label.

Yes, I was thinking that some APIs may allow explicit access to flow labels (perhaps as RFC3542bis), or a separate extension of to the advanced sockets API (new socket options?)

The constant flow label would be required in this case, as it could
have particular semantics with the ULP or application.

The main thing I guess is that it doesn't break any existing flows while
the flow remains on the original path.

Yep.
And when switching to a different locator pair, and some flow signaling is used, one would need to do the flow signaling for that locator pair in any case. So using a different flow label for the different locator pair shouldn't be much of an issue.

I guess you'd only want to do the signalling when you had to:

You wouldn't want to require signalling (or a new label)
for every locator pair change, if the label was receiver unique.

Greg