Re: Firewall "uniformity" issue

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 3-mei-2005, at 4:14, Christian Huitema wrote:

If we want end-to-end options to not be blocked by firewalls, the best
solution is to encrypt them. That is, run shim6 inside IPSEC, end to
end.

Say hello to key management...

I think trying to second-guess firewall admins is the wrong thing to do. If they want to block shim6, why should we try to sneak by them?

If the initial shim6 packet gets back some kind of ICMP unreachable or after several retransmissions there ins't an answer, we can just continue to operate in backward compatibility mode without any loss in connectivity. (Until there is a failure, of course.)

On the "do no harm" principle, we should ensure that even if a firewall drops shim6 traffic, at least monohoming will continue to work (i.e. the original locator pair can still be used as long as there is connectivity).

   Brian