Re: Flow label versus Extension header - protocol itself

Hi Francis,

El 05/05/2005, a las 10:10, Francis Dupont escribió:

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   I fail to understand your conclusion here:

=> Have you read my previous messages?

yes

   the mechanism describe by Greg and Erik seem to be compliant with
   RFC3697 to me...

=> don't joke:

i am not

 there can not be two different simultaneous uses of
flow labels,

why? as long as none of the two parties that are trying to use don't need to change it once it has been assigned and that the assignment requirements are compatible i don't see any problem...

 so if you'll use flow labels for shim6, you'll remove
any possible use, including the unspecified QoS stuff (called flow
state establishment and related service in RFC 3697).

I don't see this. I think that a set of requirements of usage are defined in RFC3697 and as long as we fulfill those, other apps should be able to use it also.

 This is why
I used the word "real" for compliance: not only the text of RFC 3697
matters, but the spirit also and you can't argue any proposal using
flow labels for shim6 will be compatible with any proposal using
flow labels for QoS as soon as it is RFC 3697 compliant...

I am sorry but i am not able to see spirits, just read RFCs, so it hard for me to design a mechnansim that is compliant with the spirit.

However, i guess that you and other people (Brian) were involved in the discussions about the flow label and could provide a set of requirements that represent this spirit.

Now, i don't think that arguments like "there cannot be two different simoultaneous usages of the flow label" are good enough, though. A set of requirements that would allow future usages of the flow label would be much better. Then we can see if we can define a usage of the flow label for the shim that fulfill those.

I mean, i am all for preserving future usages of the flow label for QoS and other stuff, and i think that the flow label bits in the main header are really precious and that usages that profit from hop by hop processing of these bits are the ones that really need those bits (not the shim, which is e2e)

However, i think that some proposals that have been considered, are defining a usage that may not affect future usages of the flow label and are worthy to be considered.

I mean, in this approach the flow label used for a exchanging packets
with a given src and dst addresses remains constant during the lifetime
of the communication, so could you point out exactly which part of
RFC3697 they are not compliant with?

=> I've considered only approachs which fulfill some requirements:
 - shim6 negociation during communication (vs. before communication)
 - mobility (i.e., unpredictable address) support.
(parts of what I called shim6 goals)

agree with both goals and i think that the receiver based flow label allocation mechanism described by Greg et al. fulfill those.

Regards, marcelo

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr