Re: soft state (was Re: shim6 and bit errors in data packet headers

Hi Iljitsch,

El 14/05/2005, a las 14:46, Iljitsch van Beijnum escribió:
The above assumption is based in that i think this is needed to properly protect from flooding attacks.
I mean, the goal of reachability tests in a shim protocol can be two-folded:
- to explore if a given address pair is working
- to determine if a given host is willing to receive packets at a given address (i.e. to prevent flooding attacks)

the first goal can be achieved with a kind of ping (enhanced ping in order to determine unidirectional reachability) but it may not require that the reachability test is associated with a given context. I mean, the goal here is just to obtain reachability information

The second goal is somehow different, and since what is being queried is the willingness of the node to receive traffic through a certain address, it is needed to inform the node which traffic are we talking about.

The thing is, that you need some kind of semi-reliable communication to accomplish all of this, and to do the negotiation too. (In the case of the reasability testing, it would be useful if the receiver of a probe would have a semi-reliable way of telling the sender that the probe was received.) There is also some circularity: you need connectivity to negotiate locators, but you need to know the locators already to discover connectivity.

Well, i was thinking in retrying a couple of times, just to keep it simple. I don't know yet if this would provide all that we need though

I'm thinking we could come up with a kind of "UDP on steroids" that similarly to SCTP works over multiple addresses. Such a semi-reliable multi-address datagram protocol would be very useful for the negotiations and similar exchanges, and it would supply reachability information as sort of a by-product.

this sounds quite more complex that what i was thinking about... (maybe it only sounds complex though :-)

Separating this layer also has the advantage that a simple unprotected multi-address datagram protocol can be used for other purposes as well, and it allows us to layer the solution so that we can work on different aspects independently.

:-)
Context state AND path failure AND unidirectional connectivity.... this seems amusing enough

Since the situations where context state doesn't exist (= before the start of a session) and unidirectional reachability (caused by ingress filtering) will be very common, we really need to cover this case.

I guess this depends on what solution for ingress filtering compatibility is available i guess

Regards, marcelo