Re: soft state (was Re: shim6 and bit errors in data packet headers

Hi,

Erik Nordmark wrote:
marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

right, good point.
but in the three way reachability test that is outlined in the faildet draft, this exchange could be good for both purposes, right?

What's outlined in the draft isn't a 3-way exchange but more like two 2-way exchanges. It could probably be extended to "bind" things together, but the details need to be worked out.

well, i guess that my perception is that ULP feedback is not so common, and that it will be common to fall back in reachability test to verify that the path is working...
Does current TCP usually implement this positive feedback for avoiding NUD?

I know Solaris has done this since Solaris 8, but I don't know the status of other implementations.

Linux does positive feedback using TCP, but the last-hop router isn't an endpoint for the TCP connection, so it keeps doing NUD to the host, even though the host doesn't send NS's to it....

Greg