Re: soft state (was Re: shim6 and bit errors in data packet headers

El 27/05/2005, a las 15:30, Iljitsch van Beijnum escribió:

On 17-mei-2005, at 20:15, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

I think we can use the same host mechanism which avoids NUD probes to avoid reachability tests (this mechanism is a positive advise "everything is fine" from the transport layer to the IP layer).
For transports like TCP that is sufficient.

well, i guess that my perception is that ULP feedback is not so common, and that it will be common to fall back in reachability test to verify that the path is working...
Does current TCP usually implement this positive feedback for avoiding NUD?

I can't be sure but I don't think host operating systems such as the KAME/BSD family and Linux currently implement NUD.

Also note that the feedback doesn't always have to be from the actual transport protocol: just observing packets flowing in both directions will tell you that all is well.

well, this wouldn't really tell you that the path is working for sure, right?

I mean a host can be sending and receiving packets but the packets it is sending may not be reaching the other end, right?
moreover, how do you apply this to the unidrectional connectivty case?

regards, marcelo

 This should be easy to implement in the shim.