Re: address pair exploration, flooding and state loss

On 27-mei-2005, at 22:57, Erik Nordmark wrote:

2. The box reboots in 30 seconds. TCP retransmissions for the next 10 minutes are silently dropped because the retransmissions arrive at the peer's TCP with a bad checksum (due to "missing" shim6 rewrite).
Thus any RST doesn't arrive until 10 minutes or so later!

Can we create a new ICMP message that says "I got a packet that may or may not have come from you and it had a wrong layer 4 checksum"?

Since the faulty checksum may be the result of a bit error, we probably don't want to copy back any data to the sender as it may not be the actual sender. But if the sender is shim capabable and has state towards the receiver, it can then send a shim-level state inquiry and the truth will come out.

On a slightly related note: it would be good if we can rebuild shim state after it has been lost on one side when at the same time, there is a failure. This would allow new sessions to be created and immediately rehomed that would otherwise have failed.