Re: address pair exploration, flooding and state loss

On 31-mei-2005, at 19:21, Erik Nordmark wrote:

- after a rehoming event, context loss is detected upon the reception of any packet associated with the shim session, whether signalling packet or data packet. for that, data packets need to carry at least one bit that identifies them as belonging to a shim session.

Makes sense to me.

It is indeed necessary to determine that a higher layer session or association belongs to a shim session. However:

- That doesn't necessarily mean that this can be determined for an individual packet. Another way to do this would be the "ICMP bad checksum" message that I suggested a few days ago.

- Even if we want to determine the shim status of individual packets, we don't necessarily need a bit for this. For instance, when locator- only addresses and ULID addresses are disjunct this can be determined from the destination address.