Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-shim6-reach-detect-00.txt

Erik Nordmark wrote:

I see two potential reasons for not using any negative advice in the NUD-based model.

1. If the probing by the shim (which is suppressible by positive advice) have been designed so that a failure can be detected in N seconds, then the shim would satisfy a requirement of detecting any failure in, at worst, N seconds. Is it really useful to sometimes be better, or is worst case the thing that matters? (I guess this is more a question than a reason.)

Ok. (I wasn't so much arguing that we need to use negative advice, just wondered why it couldn't be combined with this model.)

2. When you have multiple ULP "connections" using the same shim context, you have some more complexity to handle when some ULP advice might be negative and some positive at the same time (for the same context). If you place more weight in the negative advice, then you will react more strongly to random packet loss causing one connection to think there is a problem, etc.
Only using positive advice avoids this complexity, because it implicitly assumes that if anybody ULP finds the locator pair working, then the probes can be suppressed.

This makes sense, but I worry that the argument "one ULP works => others should work too" may not hold in all cases. What if one ULP is TCP:xxxx->80, which happens to work over this crappy firewalled network that you are using, but it doesn't let through, say, TCP:xxxx->23? The shim could be making the wrong decision here.

--Jari