Re: failure detection

El 17/08/2005, a las 21:42, Paul Jakma escribió:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

I guess that the only one that can identify this problem is the ULP itself.

So i guess we have the following situation:
- The shim will only be able to detect (by itself, without additional information) failures when packets stop flowing

How do you know if packets should or should not be flowing? What if it's a very quiet protocol? :)

There are two possibilities to deal with this, as explained in Ilijtsch draft

well, imho the shim needs only to define a default failure mode. I mean, it is clear that different apps have different perception of what a failure may be, but, since the shim is a generic layer, we need to provide a generic definition of what a failure is. Clearly, i guess it would be very useful to allow ULPs to provide information to the shim about when they consider that a failure has occurred.

Or define a very simple link^Wpath-state control protocol for shim6.

not sure what you mean by this...

regards, marcelo

You could use it to monitor path-state to locators you're interested in.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: