Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) wrote:

Also depends on the pain involved in changing DNS (I don't have any
insight into this)

Getting wide-spread SRV records would take some time.
First of all, the significant applications must try to look them up (so that when the web browser looks for www.example.com, it looks for SRV records at _http._tcp.www.example.com first, and if none found, it looks for AAAA/A records for www.example.com).
I don't know if there are already applications/systems that look for SRV records.

When we have that, then the DNS admins for the sites need to put the SRV records in their DNS servers.

But there isn't any protocol change needed to the DNS.

Do you see latency as being a TLV being passed around, or merely something that one of the endpoints can take into account when selecting the locator to use?

I for see all these preference exhcanges only being shared between the
destination and the source.

Sure.
But they might not need to be passed around. When A and B communicate, then A can determine the rtt to B (and the ULP such as TCP already does this).
So there might not be much added benefit for A to tell B which latency it has observed.

I think this works, but I'm not sure it will cover all cases and has
flexibility for future growth.

I think in either case we can leave the door open for additional information. But we need to think a bit about the criteria for what information makes sense passing from A to B.

With the different TLV types, additional types can easily be added so long
as you can define how to treat when the new type collides with the
pre-existing types at a give set level.

Say in the future you want to add another type to consider packet
loss.  In this case you simply add another TLV type and define its
values.  In addtion you have to clarifiy what to do when a source signals
to ues the lowest latency and the lowest packet loss for all
links.  Clearly one has to take precedence over the other.

I don't see a problem with the principle of having this type of extensibility. But I don't yet understand, as for latency, whether a packet loss metric would be something that A can measure and keep track of for its own purpose only, vs. A also being able to pass that metric to its peer B.

   Erik