Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

On 22-sep-2005, at 18:14, Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) wrote:

I think the biggest problem is doing something analogous to current IPv4
BGP "best" path.

I still don't know what you mean here. These days, 85% of the internet is reachable over either two or three hops. So "best" is largely meaningless here.

Also note that in BGP we only get to use the "best" path, while the shim allows using different paths in quick succession or at the same time.

At a glance this seems to have all of the
same problems that path failure detection has, with some additional
problems thrown in because you may have to test multiple paths to make a
compairson instead of only one.

Testing a large number of paths is exactly the situation we're desperately trying to avoid. _Especially_ when there is no failure in the first place. That's also the reason why the current assumption is that we don't start rewriting addresses until there is a failure. However, if there is a good case for doing this, we can reconsider. But in this case, it becomes even more important that we don't add overhead to packets.

An interesting option would be for a large service to publish addresses for intermediate boxes in the DNS. When these intermediate boxes then receive a TCP SYN, they first try to set up shim state toward the _real_ addresses for the service (at which time sophisticated load balancing decisions can be made) and then the initiator repeats the SYN.

(PS. I'm glad I left UUNET before they started handing out @mci.com email addresses...)