Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Do people really buy lines just to use them as backups? I never understood this.

Yep people do, for cost reasons. It's all about the â's. :)

Eg because the backup was negotiated with a low fixed rental cost in return for really high per-MB cost (comparatively at least: maybe your 'primary' line you just got exceptionally good rates on). So you try avoid using that line, hence it's effectively a backup. Cost can also lead to strange things like preferring one line up until some quota of traffic is reached and then preferring another, within some arbitrary billing period.

Indeed, I'd say cost is as significant a reason for multihoming as redundancy is (perhaps even more so, imle).

Shim6 has to be malleable to policy routing (the easiest way to achieve this probably is to provide for shimming to be done at an 'edge' device rather than at each host). If it is not malleable in this way it will, I suspect, weigh against shim6.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: