Re: delay as a metric, aggregation

Le mercredi 28 septembre 2005 à 12:27 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum a
écrit :
> I've been thinking about the virtues and challenges of using delay as
> a metric for shim load balancing.
> [...]
> Thougts?

I elaborated a solution some months ago to estimate delays associated
with a couple of src-dst prefixes. I proposed to associate synthetic
coordinates to a prefix. The euclidean distance between two coordinates
aims to predict the delay between the prefixes. The synthetic
coordinates are computed in a very scalable way by using an algorithm
taken from the p2p litterature. No global infrastructure is needed, and
our simulations show that the delay estimation is sufficient to avoid
almost all really high delay paths. Moreover, the computation of the
coordinates is very cheap.

More details in

http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~delaunoi/networking05/delaunois-svivaldi-full.pdf

The coordinates of a prefix can be stored in the DNS, using a new
resource record :

http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~delaunoi/ietf/draft-de-launois-dnsext-sloc-rr-00.txt

Cedric