Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

On 28-sep-2005, at 15:01, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Agreed. But I don't think you can look on it as an intermediate system,
unknown to the host, which was the basis of 8+8. It will be more like
an offload processor, with the stack split above the shim.

Although implementing the shim in a proxy / middlebox / offload processor is useful in its own right, having a different box (such as a regular router) rewrite source addresses may yet be possible, and if it is, it solves most of our ingress filtering problems in a very nice way.

I think I posted this to the list, but maybe I didn't so here goes. One of the ways to do demultiplexing would be for the shim to insert a header. If we manage to make it possible to do demux on JUST this header, then rewriting the source address field is of no consequence to the correspondent.