Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Erik Nordmark wrote:

How does the host get an IPv6 address assigned that has the right low-order bits so that the HBA stuff on the remote shim/proxy can prove (using HBA) to the peer that it owns the IPv6 address hence is allowed to redirect it?

I don't know. I'm not terribly familiar with HBA. Marcelo seems to think it's possible.

BTW, one question, is HBA a requirement for shim6?

Other possibilities include simply securing the side-band shim6 protocol (using, eg, anonymous IPSec) and disallowing any locator<->ULID (do i have the jargon correct?) state changes to occur other than through the secured side-band.

Then you wouldn't need to try stuff security state into an address.

destination locators to be changed). Thus if the shim proxy wants to handle this, it needs to first do a 1:1 IPv6 NAT where the proxy has created the HBA/CGA addresses for the host.

It'd have to be a 1:1 NAT yes.

One could envision having DHCPv6 be shim aware so that when the hosts asks DHCP for an address, the DHCP server would interact with the shim proxy so that the addresses are from a HBA or CGA set. In that case one wouldn't need the 1:1 IPv6 NAT in the shim proxy.

Hmm, possible I guess.

  Erik

regards,
--