Re: CUD and FBD

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Rather than choose CUD or FBD and expect vendors to implement this correctly, we can define the probing such that it gives implementers maximum flexibility. This has the advantage that we don't have to spend large amounts of brainpower coming up with the perfect solution before there is operational experience, and that implementers can begin with something simple and extend it later.

The idea is that we basically specify CUD as the basic approach. So first of all, when there is no outgoing traffic, nothing happens. Also, in the presence of positive ULP feedback nothing happens. When there is outgoing traffic but no positive feedback, the shim layer periodically sends out a probe. The other end sends back a reply when it sees the probe.

Why can't we just pick FBD and be done with it?
It seems to do the same job as CUD, and doesn't cause extra packets when the ULPs don't give any feedback.

Or am I missing some downside of FBD that makes it inappropriate as the one and only way?

   Erik