Re: shim header in every shimmed packet

On 13-okt-2005, at 4:48, Erik Nordmark wrote:

Right. I haven't thought much about the issues around locator updating because I was kind of assuming this wouldn't happen in the presense of HBA.

But it can with CGA.

Yes. I know this assumption was wrong.  :-)

Any ideas on how to do this?

That would be something that we explore in the "how to safely suppress the shim header after rewriting" document but in the case where the locator sets for the different ULIDs are disjoint this isn't an issue: the receiver without state that receives a shimmed packet without a shim header will know this because the packet is addressed at a locator-only address. It can then either send back a shim error or an ICMP error.

Yes, but I thought we wanted the capability to do this in other cases than the disjoint case (I've never been a fan of each host that has N ULIDs needing to create (N*N - N) extra locators).

That's not a problem: if having n(n-1) locators is the only way that the shim header can safely be suppressed (I suspect there are other ways but maybe not) then there is a tradeoff between either having n (n-1) locators and no shim header after a rehoming (unless there are other complications such as extra headers), or having n locators and having a shim header in packets after a rehoming event.

It seems to me that we can't make sure the we got the handling of the "bit" correct until we know how the sender and receiver will use this capability.

I'll be happy to write a draft...

Iljitsch