Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

	John,

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:08:50AM +1000, Geoff Huston wrote:
> >  From: John Payne <john@sackheads.org>
> > Subject: shim6 @ NANOG
> > Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:11:45 -0400
>

> Public thanks to Dave, Geoff, Vijay, Ted and Jason for their
> involvement in bringing shim6 to the NANOG conference.
>
> The messages I heard were:
>
> 1) Traffic engineering, traffic engineering and traffic engineering
>     - do NOT put this in the hands of the end system, this needs to
> be site level, or at the very least the site needs to be able to
> override the end system's decisions.
>
> 2) The first hit is of critical importance to content providers (many
> of whom couldn't legitimately justify a /32).  Hunting through DNS to
> find a locator that works won't fly.
>
> 3) It was good to hear in a widespread forum that shim6 is not
> expected to be THE only multihoming solution.  However, we were left
> uninformed as to where the other work is going on.

	Thanks. I'd also like to thank Geoff, Jason, Vijay, Ted,
	and everyone to participated in the BOF. I found the
	session to be quite productive, and I hope that it will
	form the foundation for an ongoing dialog. The IAB is
	hoping to do the next IAB "BOF" at APRICOT, so with any
	luck, see you all there.

	Thanks again all,

	Dave