Re: RFC 3484 update

Hi Pierre,

thanks for the comments and the detailed review...
see inline for my  reply

El 06/11/2005, a las 16:10, Pierre Baume escribió:

Hi Marcelo,

  Good stuff.

  Would it be a good idea to update section 8 (Implementation
Considerations) of RFC 3484 as well?

In general, I guess that retrying with different source addresses (whether it is performed by the application or by the transport) does indeed deserves some comments in the implementation considerations, but i didn't had in mind some specific issue to include there. Do you have anything particular in mind?

  Here are some specific comments.

3.1.2.  Retrying with different source addresses
[...]

   Rule 0: Avoid unreachable source addresses.

If the address pair with source address SA and destination address D
   is known to be not working, then prefer SB

  I think that we need a way to control this iteration.

Do you mean a way to limit the number of source addresses that are retried?
I asume that this will be up to the application in most of the cases...
I mean in case that is the application the one making the retrial, the clearly is up to the app the number of retrials. In the case that is TCP the one retrying, i guess that the application will decide when to give up and try with another destiantion address. I mean, i am not sure whether the source address selection mechanisms should define the maximum number of retrials, since i guess it depends on the local policy, which i guess is aligned to your idea, of using the policy table for this, right?

As a default, I
suggest that we use the policy table and limit it to addresses with the same
label.

I am not sure this would result in the expected behaviour...
As i understand it, labels are used to determine which source address to prefer for a given destiantion address. In order for this to work, you need to include the destiantion address (or a prefix containing it) in the policy table and assign a lable to it. I am not sure how to use this in order to limit the number of retrials.... perhaps you could expand on what usage did you have in mind for doing this...

 That's provided that I understand what labels are for. ;-)

3.1.3.  Providing an ordered list of source address

   In addition to recommending that when the application selects the
   source address, it should try with all available address pairs to
establish the communication, it would also make sense to provide some
   guidance about which addresses to try first.
[...]

  Same remark as above.

Well, the order of the list will be certainly influenced by the policy table and the labels assigned to the source addresses, but this would not result in limiting the number of addresses included in the list (unless we do some modification to the current behaviour of the policy table)
Again, do you have in mind some specific change here?

   However, such approach has the drawback that the resulting order of
   address pairs to try may not be the optimal, since for each
destination address, all the available source address would be tried
   before moving on to the next destination address.
[...]

Restricting the iteration through possible source addresses will also help
reduce the number of address pairs that are tried.

Right, i certainly agree that may make sense to reduce the amount of source addresses but i am not sure if the policy table is the right tool for doing it

  Typos and nitpicks follow. :-)

Thanks, i will correct those asap.
(i am sorry for all the mistakes but i was in kind of a rush...)

Regards, marcelo