Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

What I said was that I didn't understand why people want to have two links and then have the second one sit idle until the first fails. I know people want this because I used to configure this for customers when I worked at UUNET NL. But my thinking is that if you have multiple links, you'll want to use all of them.

Real backup is 1:1. If you buy 50+50 megs and use 60 (30+30), if one fails you do not have full backup.

I can see your case, we have customers with 100 meg connections and 2M backup, with the reasoning that 2M is better than nothing and they do not want to pay 100+100. They're only interested in backupping a subset of their traffic so they ACL the backup to only allow certain traffic in the case of a failure on the primary high-bw link.

Also, we charge less for the backup if it's not used normally, but that's for two connections into the same ISP, not multihoming between two ISPs.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se