Re: TE & SHIM6 (was Re: comments on draft-ietf-shim6-proto-03

On 1-mrt-2006, at 16:12, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

But an in-band hop-by-hop TE mechanism would allow exactly this. The way it would work is that routers are configured to provide feedback for packets with a shim header, if necessary. This feedback would be in the form of entries that go into the address selection policy table.

In theory, routers could send this feedback for all packets. Obviously many hosts aren't going to be multihomed but they could be talking to multihomed correspondents so they may have to make TE decisions anyway. But limiting this to proto=shim6 packets is friendlier on the router's rate limiters and less wasteful. It would be even better if we could do this for packets that we know are part of a shim-enabled association. Would it be good enough to simply do this for all shim packets except I1 (which could be trying to initiate shim6 towards a non-shim6 enabled correspondent) or do we really want to have a bit in there that tells the router we are open to receiving TE info or not?