Re: Extending shim6 to use multiple locator pairs simultaneously

john.loughney@nokia.com wrote:
Eric,

For SCTP + SHIM (which Marcelo & I had a hallway chat about - and maybe
should write-up), there could be confusion about what the 'path' is
when combined.  I think the SHIM API should have a mechanism to signal
up to the transport layer that the SHIM layer has re-homed so that the
transport layer could decide what should be done - if it thinks
slow-start
should be run, etc.

I don't understand how your comment relates to Scott's idea to run multiple paths in parallel. You seem to be talking about shim and sctp interaction, which wasn't what I and Scott was discussing.

If you are talking about how SCTP and SHIM6 would interact, I think we want to start from the point of SCTP setting the DONTSHIM option, so that the shim and sctp aren't used for the same communication.

Past that, it makes sense to study if there are more interesting ways for sctp and the shim to share the multihoming work. Potentially this can provide a more secure way that sctp's addip functionality. But I don't have a good idea on how such a split should be done.
Anybody interested in looking into this?

   Erik