Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-nordmark-shim6-esd-00.txt]

Hi Scott,

I disagree with this. If a rewriting-capable host, which may or may not
have a rewriting router on the path, started up communication observing
these SHOULDs, then the host it's talking to, which may be a very busy
non-multihomed (or PI-multihomed) server, would have to keep full shim6
context and would be unable to discard it during communication due to the presence of shim6 extension headers on every packet. This would be true even if no source-rewriting routers were deployed, and no one gained any
benefit from the capability.

IMO a better approach would be to continue using deferred context
establishment (except in the identifier/locator split case, of course),
and initially only put the Sent Locator Pair option packets that already
have shim6 headers (shim6 control packets and any packets sent with
non-ULID locators).  Then, *if* source locator rewriting is done by a
router on *those* packets, you can start putting shim6 extension headers
on all ULP payload packets.

I guess that what you want is first to discover if there is s router rewriting in the path and if this is so, then enable this capability for the particular shim6 context.

The problem that i see with this is that i don't think it is trivial to detect if a rewriting router is in the path. In particular, i don't think that the context establishment exchenge is enough to detect such presence, especially because it may well happen that during the context estbalihsment exchenge, the source address match with what the router would have rewritten, and even if there is a rewriting router in the path, the source address is unchanged.

I guess it hard to have both aggresive garbage collection and source address rewriting and i guess each site will preffer one capability over the other. So i guess that the best we could do is to provide tools so that each site can benefit from the capability that it preffers the most.

Regards, marcelo

My reasoning for wanting to make the changes above is that IMO there will be a lot more users who want to minimize shim6 state on their servers than who want to do shim6 rewriting in their routers, at least initially. If we start requiring all packets between shim6-capable hosts to have shim6
extension headers, that requires that all shim6-capable hosts keep full
shim6 state for all communications with other shim6-capable hosts, which
in turn means that operators of large servers will turn off shim6
entirely, and it will be of very limited utility due to very limited
deployment.

-Scott