Re: Fwd: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

As one of the participants in the ARIN public policy process that led up
to this consensus, I can say I saw this coming a while ago.

Firstly, let me say that the policy we supported is not just "PI /48 for
end-sites".  It's PI /48 for end sites who qualify for an IPv4 PI /22.

Since getting involved in the IETF (partly as a result of hearing about
shim6 at NANOG/ARIN in L.A.), I've never seen shim6 (nor PI) as the
one-and-only multihoming solution for IPv6.  Instead, I see PI as
addressing the needs of large sites who prefer to multihome with BGP (with
all its TE capabilities and do-everything-in-the-network design), and
shim6 addressing the needs of host multihoming, smaller site multihoming
for folks who don't want to (or can't) run BGP, or for multihomed sites
who desire greater control on the host of the path chosen (for performance
reasons, which can be measured end-to-end).

This is why I've stressed making sure that shim6 is relatively
non-impactful to the sites who don't need it for their own multihoming, so
that they will still let their OS enable it by default, and just discard
shim6 context after it's created, letting the multihomed side keep track
of things and only keep context in failure cases.

-Scott