Re: [ppml] PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN

On 14-apr-2006, at 13:39, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

my proposal is ensuring that we
have those 4 years+3 for allowing the people either to return the block, or
become an LIR and avoid renumbering an any changes in their network.

I don't see the logic of an end-user organization becoming a LIR in the sense that they give out address space to other end-user organizations. And even if they did, a /48 or even a reserved /44 (why not give them the /44 right away then, at least that saves us from accepting /48s which is dangerous because of potentially deaggregated /32s and we have IPv6 addresses aplenty) isn't big enough to be a LIR without obtaining a new address block.

By the way, it may happen, and I'm hoping so, that the technical solution don't make necessary to return the PI block anymore, and in that case, we will be even able to remove at that time the "temporarily" point in the
policy (if it becomes accepted).

If the PI blocks are given out according to a geographic addressing plan we leave the door open for geographic aggregation in the future. I know few people believe in this today but if we're going to have PI anyway, giving out those prefixes geographically doesn't do any harm but it allows for future developments.