RE: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

Igor,

>So, who are we trying to solve the problem for, because if the
>answer is both, shim6 does not work, if the answer is branch
>office, shim6 still does not work, and if the answer is the
>DSL end-user, how many of them really want to multihome, and,
>like Patrick said, are we trying to solve a problem that does
>not exist? Right now, the scope is "everything", so perhaps
>it's time to break up the problem space, and maybe have
>different solutions for different problems?

If you are thinking about wired users, I agree, there isn't much
need for multihoming.  When you toss wireless into the mix, things
get a bit more interesting.  There are dual-mode devices already
(3G - WLAN) and WiMAX is on the horizon.  As wireless tends to have
partially overlapping coverage, but not complete coverage in all
areas (many people have terrible indoor cellular coverage, but
excellent WLAN).  Currently, users may have different wireless
providers, so the ability to multihome over different wireless
interfaces, using different service providers is a good use case,
IMO.

John