Re: review of draft-ietf-shim6-failure-detection-03.txt

Hi John,

about this particular point...

El 25/04/2006, a las 14:20, <john.loughney@nokia.com> escribió:

This draft defines the mechanism and protocol to achieve both failure
   detection and locator pair exploration.  This protocol is called
   REAchability Protocol (REAP).  It designed to be carried within the
   SHIM6 protocol, but may also be used in other contexts.

I think we should drop the '... may be used in other contexts.' as this
seems
outside of the scope of SHIM6. I don't think that SHIM6 should work on a
general
purpose failure detection & path exploration protocol.

I think that there are several scenarios where there seems to be the need for having a protocol for detecting failures and exploring alternative paths. For instance, in mobile IP, there is no way to determine if the current CoA is working and explore alternative coas if a failure is detected. Similar thing happens in HIP for instance.

So, my take on this is that perhaps it would be good if the failure detection and alternative path exploration protocols defined by shim6 could be reused in such scenarios (of course if this does not implies giving up functionality, but i don't think this is the case)

I mean, if we can define a single protocol that can be used in multiple scenarios that need the same functionality i think it makes sense....

Regards, marcelo