Re: [secdir]Comments on draft-ietf-shim6-hba-01

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Geoff Huston wrote:
We'd like to ask the working group at this stage if there are any further thoughts about the hash based address draft in the light of a security directorate review of the draft. The message thread of that review is attached to this note. (The review was conducted in November and December last year)

I must wonder what has happened in the intervening 5 (or so) months..

But aside from that, EKR wrote:
"A single digital signature that's checked every time you re-home seems quite eminently practical."

I may be a bit dense right now, but I'd like to see at least a sketch how that would work. In particular, Im not sure how that is bound to the address so that on-path moving off-path wouldn't cause a time-shifting attack.

That said, the HBA's "all addresses must change if one changes" is rather onerous, so it could be beneficial if we could make do with just CGA.

Note: CGA when used with shim6 doesn't have RF IPR license.