locator pair selection (was Re: continued review of /draft-ietf-shim6-failure-detection-03.txt

Hi John,

One comment w.r.t. one of the points you make below...

El 28/04/2006, a las 15:17, <john.loughney@nokia.com> escribió:

Section 5.3:

   Nodes MUST first consult RFC 3484 [6] Section 4 rules to determine
   what combinations of addresses are allowed from a local point of
   view, as this reduces the search space.

RFC 3484 is "default address selection"; I would hesitate to make this
a MUST.  I would say that 3484 is the default mechanism for REAP, but
surely nodes can have an optimized algorithm?

I agree with respect to this point.
probably when selecting the locators pairs to be explored, we need to:
- consider the issues included in RFC3484 but probably with a different priority - consider other information, like reachability, preferenes and so on, available from the shim6 protocol

I have wrote a mechanism for locator pair selection that takes into account this additional issues.

I haven't submitted it yet, but you can find it in:

http://www.it.uc3m.es/marcelo/draft-bagnulo-shim6-locator-pair- selection-00.txt

perhaps this could be a useful tool...

regards, marcelo