Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-shim6-applicability-01.txt

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:14:36AM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:28:19AM +1000, Geoff Huston wrote:
> >>This document discusses the applicability of the Shim6 IPv6 protocol
> >>   element and associated support protocols to provide site
> >>multihoming
> >>   capabilities in IPv6.
> >
> >Given that shim6 doesn't provide site multihoming, but only host
> >multihoming, I'd suggest to change this wording to reflect reality.
>
> The shim6 approach is to provide site multihoming by adding a
> capability to multi-home to the hosts within the site, as you know.
> Do you think that is semantically misleading?

Yes I do. It's not a site being multihomed, it's a host being
multihomed. Which is (to me and many others) a totally different
story.

There is absolutely nothing in shim6 which leans on the "site"
concept, no site-wide policy enforcement etc. A site multihoming
solution involves a site-wide routing policy (and it's enforcement),
totally independent of the hosts which are usually to be considered
untrusted and under different administration than the site network.

shim6 doesn't deliver anything of that, so it's not a site multihoming
solution. It's a solution for ad-hoc opportunistic host multihoming in
cases where both ends support it and where two or more transitted IPv6
addresses with associated uplinks are available.

Unless I've misunderstood all of that. :-)

Just because multihoming each host effectively multihomes the site (in
an uncoordinated, ad hoc, unpredictable way) doesn't make it a site
multihoming technique.

Best regards,
Daniel

--