Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-shim6-applicability-01.txt

On 14-jun-2006, at 5:50, Sam Xia wrote:

And the most important thing is that shim6
is designed based on the model figured in this draft. The model is not a host multihoming context. Maybe there are some problems when shim6 applied to pure host multihoming context, I guess. Or the authors don't consider the
pure host multihoming context carefully.

Well, if we understand "site multihoming" to mean that an entire site has two or more different connections to the internet which are likely to be to two different ISPs, this is significantly different from the situation where a host is connected to the infrastructure within the site over two or more links, which I would call "host multihoming". For this host multihoming it should be quite doable to inject more specifics into the IGP which are then aggregated away within the site.

So even though shim6 works on hosts, the way it works makes it a site multihoming solution, in my opinion. It wouldn't hurt to explain this somewhere, though.

Iljitsch